Stewart Hoffer has an active trial practice litigating complex commercial litigation, intellectual property, and employment disputes. Mr. Hoffer is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell, is listed in Best Lawyers in America in multiple practice areas, and has been selected as a Texas Super Lawyer every year since the list’s initial publication in 2003 — a total of 18 consecutive years.
- Challenged the city of Houston’s failure to comply with a journalist’s efforts to expose potential irregularities in the city’s award of a lucrative recycling contract in City of Houston v. Dolcefino Communications, et al., 01-17-00979-CV (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist.], October 30, 2018).
- Served as the sole trial lawyer and part of the appellate team that changed Texas procedural and substantive law regarding whether a court could, consistent with the Texas and U.S. constitutions, require the removal of, and enjoin the republication of, speech adjudicated as defamatory in Kinney v. Barnes, 443 S.W.3d 87 (Tex. 2014).
- Obtained an order conditionally granting a writ of mandamus that overturned a trial court’s order that required client to produce hard drives for forensic analysis in In re Pinnacle Engineering, Inc., 405 S.W.3d 835 (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist.] 2013, orig. proceeding).
Representative, Published Cases:
- See Republic Services, Inc. v. Martha Rodriguez and Custom Copying Solutions, L.P., No. 14-12-01054-CV (Tex. App. – Houston [14th Dist.] 2014, no pet.)
- Wasserberg v. Flooring Services of Texas, LLC, 376 S.W.3d 202 (Tex. App. – Houston [14th Dist.] 2012, no pet.)
- In re Motor Trike, Inc., 347 S.W.3d 806 (Tex. App. – Corpus Christi 2011, orig.
- Dynamic Sports Nutrition, Inc. v. Roberts, 2009 WL 136023 (S.D. Tex. 2009)
- Murphy v. Butler, 512 F. Supp. 2d 975 (S.D. Tex. 2007)
- Fleming & Assoc. v. Miller & Assoc., 2005 WL 1155118 (S.D. Tex. 2005)
- Washington v. Occidental Chemical Corp., 24 F.Supp.2d 713 (S.D. Tex. 1998)
- Harvey v. Chevron U.S.A., Inc., 961 F. Supp. 1017 (S.D. Tex. 1997)
Mr. Hoffer received his J.D., with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law and thereafter served as a law clerk to the Honorable Hayden W. Head, Jr., United States District Judge for the Southern District of Texas.
Updated Sep 2021