Brandon is a partner in the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. He is also a member of the firm’s Securities practice. He focuses on complex commercial litigation, securities litigation, regulatory affairs, and investigations. He has particular experience advising directors and officers of corporate entities and charities on contentious governance matters. Brandon also practises in the area of public law. He has appeared at trial and appellate courts and securities commissions in Ontario and Manitoba, in the Federal Court, and before numerous other Canadian and UK tribunals. His work has a significant international dimension, having practised for over a decade in major global firms in London and Toronto before joining Fillmore Riley in 2018. Brandon is fluent in French and English, with capabilities in other languages.
Brandon is a member of The Advocates’ Society, the Civil Litigation and Law Practice sections of the American Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario.
Representative Clients/Cases/ Transactions:
- Lead counsel for a biotechnology multinational in arbitral proceedings against a Canadian university regarding intellectual property marketing agreements.
- Avocat pour un conglomérat de construction français dans de nombreuses poursuites liées à des projets hydroélectriques dans le nord-est de l’Ontario.
- Associate counsel for a prominent politically-exposed person in Canadian litigation regarding matters of state liability and choice of forum (Bouzari and others v. Hashemi Bahremani and others).
- Lead counsel in arbitral proceedings for a Djibouti-based trading company against a global non-governmental organization.
- Designated Manitoba defence counsel to a Schedule 1 bank for financial advisor/ broker negligence claims.
- Co-counsel with appearances in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Appeal for a former executive in litigation arising from the insolvency of Sino-Forest Corp. (Labourers Pension Fund of Central and Eastern Canada (Trustee of) v. Sino-Forest Corp. and others; Sino-Forest Corp, Re).
- Co-counsel for an executive in insider trading allegations related to a prominent Canadian aerospace manufacturer.
- Solicitor for the fund manager in insolvency, civil, and criminal proceedings arising from the collapse of Weavering Capital (UK) Ltd and related offshore entities.
- Counsel to a Winnipeg-based public company with national operations on matters of subsidiary director conduct.
- Counsel to the leadership of a participant in a highly-publicized data breach involving offshore financial holdings and records.
- Conseil ayant la conduite d’une enquête d’un Stiftung suisse concernant certaines utilisations de fonds de dotation en Chypre et Les Seychelles.
- Counsel to the Winnipeg Police Service in respect of civil claims tort claims and constitutional issues related to wrongful convictions.
Updated July 2021