Bill Carmody breaks the mold of what to expect in a trial lawyer. As the head of Susman Godfrey’s New York office, Bill leads a booming bet-the-company trial practice – he’s served as lead counsel to industry leaders such as General Electric, Sotheby’s, Uber, TPG, Steve Madden, and industry titans such as Louis Bacon, Daniel Loeb, and Adam Neumann. For plaintiffs, Bill has secured verdicts and settlements in the billions. And, for defendants, he has protected his clients from potential exposure in the billions of dollars.
Bill is experienced in a wide range of complex business and intellectual property litigation and has handled a variety of cases, including antitrust, commercial and securities fraud, structured finance and derivatives litigation, class actions, false claims act, energy, trust and estates, trade secrets, trademark, and patent infringement.
- Bill is regularly at the helm of the biggest litigation wins in the nation.
- In the epic clash over self-driving car technology that pitted Google/Waymo against Uber, Bill stepped in shortly before trial to defend Uber. Although Waymo sought damages of almost $2 Billion, Bill got all of Waymo’s experts’ damages opinions struck. After Bill’s public and private opening statements and the presentation of four days of evidence to a federal jury in San Francisco, this high-profile case ended in a favorable settlement.
- In one of the largest individual claims to be litigated this century, WeWork founder Adam Neumann turned to Bill as part of a multi-firm trial team after SoftBank withdrew its offer to buy up to $3 Billion in WeWork stock from Mr. Neumann and other shareholders. A week before trial, the case settled as reported by The New York Times.
- For GE, Bill successfully tried a complex multi-contract case before a jury, leading to a judgment in favor of GE worth more than $160 Million.
- On behalf of a pharmaceutical industry whistleblower, Bill prosecuted novel anti-kickback claims in the Novartis qui tam litigation that resulted in total settlements of $465 Million – which for a case of its kind is the largest recovery ever.
- Bill is often tapped to lead the country’s most significant litigation. He is:
- taking on Google in the highly publicized privacy class action,
- serving as lead counsel to the City of Baltimore – whose citizens are more likely to die of an opioid overdose than those of nearly any city in the U.S. – in its ongoing opioid litigation,
- serving as court-appointed co-lead counsel in the consolidated antitrust class action arising out of the LIBOR-rate fixing scandal. To date, the action has resulted in settlement recoveries of more than $590 million, and
- taking on the NFL and DirectTV as co-lead class counsel to plaintiffs in a California MDL class action litigation alleging DirecTV’s exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket package violates federal antitrust laws.
Updated Sep 2021