Andy Frankel is a Partner in the Firm’s Litigation Department, where he has nearly 30 years of experience successfully representing clients in a wide variety of complex disputes, including insurance, securities, product liability and other commercial litigation and investigations. Andy has successfully litigated cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States and in domestic and international arbitrations. Andy was recognized by Law360 as a 2019 “MVP” in Insurance for his work representing insurers in several high-profile disputes, including those involving some of the country’s largest mass tort litigations. He has also been recognized as a “Litigation Star” by Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation, The Legal 500 U.S., Best Lawyers in America and Who’s Who Legal.
Andy’s engagements include:
- Representation of financial institutions including RBS, Deutsche Bank and UBS as issuers and underwriters in numerous residential-mortgage-backed securities litigations, including suits brought by the FHFA, the FDIC and other purchasers of mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of Travelers Indemnity Company in Travelers Indemn. Co. v. Bailey, 557 U.S. 137 (2009), in which the Supreme Court resolved important issues concerning the finality and permissible scope of bankruptcy court injunctions.
- Representation of insurers and other parties as creditors in numerous bankruptcy proceedings and appeals, including in In re Johns-Manville Corp., Hillsborough Holding Co., North American Refractories Corp., Global Industrial Technologies, Mid-Valley, API, The Muralo Co., ACandS, Western MacArthur, Plant Insulation and Specialty Products Holding Corp.
- Representation of defendants in private actions and government-initiated proceedings involving disparate impact and disparate treatment claims under the Fair Housing Act and state fair housing laws and regulations.
- Representation of insurers and other parties in numerous high-stakes coverage-related disputes, including Continental Insurance Co. v. Honeywell Int’l Inc.; Plant Insulation Co. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co.; Bondex Int’l, Inc. v. Hartford Accident & Indem. Co., Travelers Casualty and Surety Company v. Honeywell Int’l Inc.; E.I. DuPont Nemours and Co. v. Travelers Casualty and Surety Co.; Montrose Chemical Corp. v. Canadian Universal Ins. Co.; In re Liquidation of Midland Insurance Co.; AmerisourceBergen Drug Corp. v. ACE American Ins. Co., et al.; and Atlanta Int’l Ins. Co. v. Johnson & Johnson.
- Representation of B.A.T Industries plc in numerous healthcare expense reimbursement actions seeking billions of dollars in damages.
On a pro bono basis, Andy appeared at the trial court level and on appeal in McWade v. Kelly, on behalf of the Washington Legal Foundation, Families of September 11, Inc. and a number of federal, state and local officials; and assisted the City of New York and the New York Police Department in connection with numerous lawsuits against the City.
Prior to joining Simpson Thacher in 1992, Andy clerked for Judge Morton I. Greenberg of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and Judge Mitchell H. Cohen of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Updated Sep 2021