Willenken LLP is a premier litigation boutique without peer in trial experience and strategic acumen. An elite, minority-owned and majority women law firm, we are equally skilled in the art of taking a hostile witness on cold cross as we are at penning a cogent dispositive motion. Firm-wide, our attorneys have tried more than 150 cases to verdict or judgment. The firm focuses exclusively on complex commercial litigation, with special emphasis on class action defense, real estate litigation, intellectual property, entertainment litigation, complex contract disputes, product liability litigation, trade secrets, and utility regulatory matters.
We represent both plaintiffs and defendants. The firm is based in Los Angeles and our attorneys handle cases nationwide. True to our roots as trial lawyers, we are guided by one overriding principle: Winning Matters®. We are the go-to firm of Fortune 500 companies for some of their most challenging, complex business litigation matters. Nothing speaks to Willenken’s success as a firm more than the notable results we have achieved for our clients, a sampling is included below:
- Currently prosecuting a high-stakes breach of contract case touted by the pharmaceutical industry press as “one of the five big healthcare lawsuits” of the past year. Brought on behalf of AbbVie, the suit is pending in Delaware Chancery Court and it accuses Takeda Pharmaceutical Company of failing to fulfill AbbVie’s supply requirements for Lupron, the leading androgen deprivation therapy for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer, uterine fibroids and endometriosis, and precocious puberty. Takeda’s deficient performance followed a FDA inspection that found serious quality deficiencies at one of Takeda’s Japanese Lupron manufacturing facilities, which led to production and supply disruptions and an ensuing world-wide Lupron supply shortage. Trial on phase one of the case, concerning declaratory and injunctive relief, was recently completed. Amidst the pandemic, all of the discovery and proceedings – including depositions, hearings and trial – were conducted virtually, involving more than three dozen fact and expert depositions from across seven countries, over 145,000 documents, and evidence presented in three different languages. Drawing upon its unparalleled trial experience and in-house capabilities in electronic document management, the Willenken team effectively marshalled all of the key evidence and presented an efficient and compelling case within four trial days. Phase two of the case, concerning damages, is expected to proceed to trial in 2022.
- On behalf of a national hardware retailer, we secured critical motion in limine rulings in Georgia excluding expert opinions bearing on product defect issues, leading to a favorable settlement on the eve of trial, in a product liability lawsuit where three plaintiffs alleged a gas can explosion caused permanent and disfiguring injuries.
- We represented former executives of a billion-dollar-funded electric vehicle start-up facing allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, violation of non-solicitation and confidentiality obligations, and breach of fiduciary duties in arbitration. Willenken provided our clients with meaningful strategic counsel and defended against the plaintiff ’s most aggressive discovery tactics. We successfully brought a demurrer that forced the plaintiff to file a Third Amended Demand and started a new clock on document productions, and stayed two steps ahead of the plaintiff in forensic discovery. The plaintiff was ultimately forced to come to a global settlement that was very favorable for our clients.
- We obtained a total defense victory and secured dismissal with prejudice of a bidrigging and unfair competition lawsuit against Motorola Solutions.
- On behalf of Lumens Co., Ltd., a Korean LED manufacturer, we achieved a total victory in a dispute with its distributor over non-payment of goods and allegations of various business torts. On appeal, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit issued a memorandum disposition affirming Lumens’ victory of summary judgment finalizing the award of $1 million in damages and dismissal of $16 million in counterclaims.
- We defended the nation’s largest gas utility in a five-week major personal injury trial. Although the client already stipulated to liability, we staved off punitive damages and the jury awarded less than half of plaintiff ’s demand.
- In a two-week breach of contract trial, we defended a leading consumer electronics maker. We won a motion for non-suit on claims for consequential damages and the jury awarded less than half of plaintiff ’s demand.
- We defended a major gas utility in three consolidated wrongful death actions. Before jury selection, we won a key motion to exclude evidence of a similar prior accident. All three claims then settled at a fraction of plaintiffs’ demands.
As a certified minority-owned law firm, diversity and inclusion are hallmarks of our practice. We staff our cases with a diverse group of partners and associates by virtue of the composition of our firm. Furthermore, we are proud and active members of the California Minority Counsel Program, the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, the Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity, and the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms, among other notable organizations.
- Appellate Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Complex Commercial Litigation
• Art, Cultural, and Educational Institutions
• Financial Services
• Product Liability
• Real Estate
- Entertainment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
• Patent Litigation
• Trade Secrets and Employee Mobility
• Trademark and Trade Dress
- Last Minute Trial Representation
- White Collar Defense and Government Investigations
Updated Sep 2021