Described in Chambers and Partners as “the hottest IP boutique in the Bay Area,” Durie Tangri is a 40 lawyer litigation boutique known for punching far above its weight class. Since opening its doors in 2009, Durie Tangri has “matured, along with much of its client base, into a California institution,” according to Benchmark Litigation. The firm is known for its creative and rigorous approach to protecting some of the most valuable IP in the country on behalf of its clients, and for its victories in other areas of high‐stakes litigation in jurisdictions nationwide.
Durie Tangri believes practicing law is a craft, an art, and a science. Our lawyers take pride in craftsmanship at all levels of the firm, and recognize that effective advocacy involves understanding the power of narrative. The team chooses to practice law together because we share a deep commitment to our clients and to the firm’s underlying values.
Notable Victories: 2021 has proven to be a busy year at Durie Tangri. The firm secured two back‐to‐back jury trial wins, achieving a defense verdict for Activision Blizzard in a copyright infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas over Call of Duty Black Ops 4, and less than a month later won $178 million and a finding of willful infringement for client Plexxikon in a patent infringement action against Novartis in the Northern District of California over a melanoma therapy. The firm successfully defended Instagram against a copyright infringement class action in the Ninth Circuit, and settled a $1.3 billion class action challenging CalPERS’s 2015 and 2016 rate increases with respect to its long‐term care program (the settlement is pending final court approval). Durie Tangri also secured a victory for Genentech before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board in connection with a key Genentech patent covering a new method of cancer treatment.
Recognition: The firm’s attorneys are recognized as top lawyers by a number of prestigious regional and national publications. In the past year alone, the firm’s lawyers were named among LawDragon 500’s Legends of the 500; Benchmark Litigation’s Litigation Stars, Local Litigation Star in California, Under 40 Hot List and Future Stars; The Daily Journal’s Top Intellectual Property Lawyers, Top White Collar Lawyers, and Top 100 Lawyers; Managing IP’s IP Star in California; ranked by Chambers & Partners USA and Global, and IAM Patent 1000.
- Patent: Durie Tangri represents companies in patent litigation across the country in cases ranging from biotechnology to e‐commerce, solar technology to firewalls. Our clients include leading companies like Genentech, Shopify, Zoom, and Plexxikon, as well as rising startups.
- Copyright: Durie Tangri has extensive experience in groundbreaking copyright cases. The firm has represented clients such as Google, Activision Blizzard, CoreLogic, Automattic, the University of Chicago, Microsoft, Public.Resource.Org and Reddit in copyright matters. The firm has litigated copyright cases at every level, including the United States Supreme Court, and has participated in many of the precedent‐setting cases in the past decade. The firm’s attorneys are frequent commentators on cutting edge copyright and Internet issues.
- Trademark & Trade Secret: Durie Tangri is experienced in all aspects of trademark and trade secret litigation. The firm has been involved in several high profile cases involving employee mobility, and has represented Google in five cases defending the legality of its use of Internet keywords to trigger advertising against attack by trademark owners.
- Professional Liability: Durie Tangri attorneys have represented many leading law firms in defense of professional liability claims. In a Federal Circuit appeal on behalf of Gutride Safier law firm, Durie Tangri secured a sweeping victory from an order imposing sanctions. The case was widely hailed as a “landmark case” and a warning to lawyers who bring cases on behalf of non‐practicing entities. The firm’s breadth of substantive disciplines and commitment to a “generalist” approach to litigation makes it well‐suited to step into virtually any professional liability claim, regardless of
- the underlying field of law.
- Contract & Commercial: Durie Tangri lawyers have handled a broad array of complex civil litigation, including disputes relating to contracts, trade secrets, employee mobility, corporate control, and false advertising.
- Class Action: Durie Tangri attorneys have extensive experience in defending class action cases, including some of the largest putative classes in the world. The firm has represented Google in a nationwide class action challenging Google’s unification of its various privacy policies, and in an international class action defending against claims of copyright infringement arising from Google’s program of scanning works in major library collections. In the latter, the firm prevailed on summary judgment, with the court finding that Google’s conduct constitutes a fair use of the underlying works, a ruling affirmed by the Second Circuit Court of Appeal. Durie Tangri also won a defense verdict on behalf of the California State University following a three-week trial, in a class action challenging CSU’s response to the California budget crisis.
- White Collar Crime & Investigations: Durie Tangri’s White Collar Crime and Investigations practice group is led by experienced trial lawyers who have successfully defended businesses and individuals in criminal and quasi‐criminal proceedings in federal and state courts throughout the United States. The firm prides itself on its ability to terminate investigations without press or harm to the individuals facing scrutiny. Durie Tangri’s lawyers have defended clients facing investigation and prosecution by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, as well as many other state and federal agencies.
- Appellate: Durie Tangri lawyers regularly appear in state and federal appellate courts. The firm has argued 30 cases in the Federal Circuit and more than 50 cases in the courts of appeals overall. The department is led by Mark Lemley, one of the founding partners of Durie Tangri and the William H. Neukom Professor of Law at Stanford Law School. Mark has argued 28 Federal appellate cases and has won his last nine Federal Circuit cases, eight as appellant. He has also been successful before the California Supreme Court.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We recognize that diversity is essential to the success of our firm and our clients. We thus prioritize recruiting, retaining, and promoting diverse attorneys and staff, and building an inclusive and welcoming workplace. Of our full-time partners, fifty percent fall under the ABA Model Diversity Survey definition of “minority” or are LGBTQ. In the past three years, we promoted four “homegrown” partners, three of whom were women, LGBTQ, or minority. We also recognize that that is not enough. Across our industry, ethnic and racial minorities and members of the LGBTQ community are not just historically underrepresented. They are underrepresented today. This must change, and we are determined to do our part to change it.
Updated Sep 2021