Blackwell Burke P.A. is a certified minority-owned litigation trial firm with a national practice and winning record of world-class results in high stakes litigation, MDLs, class actions, and multi-state matters.
- Having been appointed by Attorney General Keith Ellison, Mr. Blackwell served as a lead Special Assistant Attorney General in the successful prosecution of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd.
- Collaborated with the Clayton Jackson McGhie Memorial, Inc., the Minnesota Historical Society, members of the Federal Bar, and other supporters, to successfully secure the posthumous pardon of Max Mason, who was wrongfully convicted of raping a white woman in 1920. Presented the arguments before the Minnesota Pardon Board. The posthumous pardon was the first ever in Minnesota history, in commemoration of the 100-year anniversary of Mason’s conviction and the brutal lynching of three Black circus workers in Duluth.
- Secured summary judgment for Conagra in the first case to proceed through summary judgment and Daubert motions, pending in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Plaintiffs claim burn injuries resulting from alleged defects in aerosol cooking spray cans.
- Secured landmark victory for 3M Company in Federal Bair HuggerTM MDL securing dismissal of 5,000+ cases in one of the 10 largest MDLs in the U.S.
- Resolved environmental contamination action brought by Minnesota Attorney General against 3M. The $850 million settlement was the largest environmental settlement in Minnesota, and third largest in U.S. history, ending 8 years of litigation over a former ingredient (fluorochemicals, or PFCs) that allegedly contaminated drinking water.
- Secured complete victory for General Mills, Inc. in a putative nationwide class action over the alleged false advertising of the company’s Nature Valley snack bars.
Firm Rankings and Recognitions:
- Benchmark Litigation – Minneapolis Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Highly Recommended Firm, Benchmark Litigation Stars, Benchmark Litigation Future Stars
- BTI – 2020 BTI Litigation Powerhouse, BTI Honor Roll in Class Action Ligation, BTI Legal Mover & Shaker, BTI Client Service A-Team, BTI Brand Elite Firm, BTI Client Service MVP, BTI Client Service All-Star
- Chambers and Partners – Ranked Firm, Leading Firm, Diversity Short List
- 3M Supplier of the Year Award
- General Mills Supplier Diversity Excellence in Service Award
- Minnesota Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars
- Hennepin County Legal Employer Diversity Award
- Class Action Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Drug & Device
- Food Industry Defense
- Products Liability
- Toxic Torts
- Trial Practice
Updated Sep 2021